The Phoenix Suns find themselves in a familiar place as the NBA Playoffs begin, securing home court for a third consecutive season in the first round.
This year, the fourth-seeded Suns will meet the L.A. Clippers in a best-of-seven series that kicks off at Footprint Center this Sunday.
Phoenix is currently listed as a 7.5-point favorite on BetMGM Sportsbook Arizona in Game 1, with the New York-based operator giving the Suns the third-best title odds at +500 (behind Milwaukee at +275 and Boston at +350).
As for the series itself, Arizona betting apps currently have the Suns at -600 to advance while giving +300 odds that whichever team wins the series does so in four games. Below we break down the Suns' past 10 trips to the postseason.
Phoenix Suns Playoff History Since 2000
- 2022: Beat New Orleans in six games (1st round); Lost to Dallas in seven games (2nd round)
- 2021: Beat L.A. Lakers in six games (1st round); Beat Denver Nuggets in four games (2nd round); Beat L.A. Clippers in six games (Western Conference Finals); Lost to Milwaukee in six games (NBA Finals)
- 2010: Beat Portland in six games (1st round); Beat San Antonio in four games (2nd round); Lost to L.A. Lakers in six games (WC Finals)
- 2008: Lost to San Antonio in five games (1st round)
- 2007: Beat L.A. Lakers in five games (1st round); Lost to San Antonio in six games (2nd round)
- 2006: Beat L.A. Lakers in seven games (1st round); Beat L.A. Clippers in seven games (2nd round); Lost to Dallas in six games (WC Finals)
- 2005: Beat Memphis in four games (1st round); Beat Dallas in six games (2nd round); Lost to San Antonio in five games (WC Finals)
- 2003: Lost to San Antonio in six games (1st round)
- 2001: Lost to Sacramento in four games (1st round)
- 2000: Beat San Antonio in four games (1st round); Lost to L.A. Lakers in five games (2nd round)
- Record: 7-3 in 1st round series since 2000 NBA Playoffs
Throughout the NBA Playoffs, BetArizona.com is your source for Arizona sportsbook promos
Suns Have Been Strong In 1st Round
Of the team’s last 10 trips to the playoffs, the Suns have been a solid first-round pick when it comes to Arizona NBA betting, winning seven series.
Phoenix’s lone opening-round losses came in 2001 (four games against Sacramento), 2003 (six games against San Antonio) and 2008 (five games against San Antonio).
The Suns have swept their first-round foes once, doing so in 2005 against the Grizzlies.
On average, the Suns have taken 5.4 games to advance past their first-round opponents during the seven seasons where they made it to the Western Conference semifinals.
This year, the Suns went 2-2 against the Clippers, knocking off L.A. in their first two regular-season meetings (112-95 on Oct. 23 and 111-95 on Dec. 15) before losing to the Clippers, 116-107, on Feb. 16 and 119-114 in Sunday’s season finale.
Durant: Postseason Difference Maker for Suns?
One ace up Suns coach Monty Williams’ sleeve this postseason is the presence of two-time NBA champion Kevin Durant. This might be a good player prop betting opportunity paired up with one of our Arizona sportsbook promos
Phoenix went 7-0 with Durant in the lineup after acquiring the superstar from Brooklyn in February, with K.D. sitting out the team’s finale against the Clippers to rest.
The one question surrounding Durant is his health, with the 16th-year forward missing 35 games during the regular season (and 10 after coming to Phoenix) with various injuries.
If Durant is healthy, he could be a difference-maker, as he’s averaging more than 29 points per game with the Suns.
One way or another, the Suns will be leaning on players like Durant to advance past the Clippers.