Fans of the Arizona Diamondbacks are likely still catching their breath after the team pulled off one of the biggest upsets in recent MLB playoff history Tuesday night against Philadelphia.
The team’s postseason renaissance is such a surprise because the D’backs entered the postseason tied with Miami for the longest World Series odds at Arizona sports betting apps at +5000 and have the third-fewest wins all time of any World Series participant — 1973 New York Mets (82 wins) and 2006 St. Louis Cardinals (83 wins).
Ahead of Friday’s Game 1 of the World Series against Texas in Arlington, BetArizona.com took a look at how the D’backs have fared in the opening game of their past playoff series. Here’s how they have fared in Game 1s over the last 24 years.
How Diamondbacks Have Fared in Game 1s
- NLDS: N.Y. Mets 8, Arizona 4 (Lost series in 4 games)
- NLDS: Arizona 1, St. Louis 0 (Won series in 5 games)
- NLCS: Arizona 2, Atlanta 0 (Won series in 5 games)
- World Series: Arizona 9, N.Y. Yankees 1 (Won series in 7 games)
- NLDS: St. Louis 12, Arizona 2 (Lost series in 3 games)
- NLDS: Arizona 3, Chicago Cubs 1 (Won series in 3 games)
- NLCS: Colorado 5, Arizona 1 (Lost series in 4 games)
- NLDS: Milwaukee 4, Arizona 1 (Lost series in 5 games)
- NLDS: L.A. Dodgers 9, Arizona 5 (Lost series in 3 games)
- NLWC: Arizona 6, Milwaukee 3 (Won series in 2 games)
- NLDS: Arizona 11, L.A. Dodgers 2 (Won series in 3 games)
- NLCS: Philadelphia 5, Arizona 3 (Won series in 7 games)
Arizona sportsbooks list the Rangers as the series favorite at -175. The Diamondbacks are +145.
Diamondbacks Have Mixed Record in Openers
The D’backs have seen their share of highs and lows in Game 1 of the playoffs, splitting the 12 the franchise has appeared in since 1999.
Arizona is 2-1 in Game 1s this season, beating Milwaukee in the Wild Card round and the L.A. Dodgers in the Division Series before failing to Philadelphia in the opening game of the NLCS. Against the Phillies it was the finish that mattered most, with Arizona winning twice in Philadelphia to overcome a 3-2 deficit and take the series.
Now, the Diamondbacks will look to ride their hot hand into the heart of Texas, with oddsmakers from Caesars Sportsbook Arizona giving them +143 moneyline odds against the Rangers on Friday. Arizona is +550 to win the series in seven games, while +1600 to sweep the series.